Friday, 18 November 2016

Three Mobile hit by a Data Breach

'What you need to know' about the Three Mobile Data Breach 

By Tarun Samtani
Group Cyber Security Advisor

Article Link


Three Mobile hit by a Data Breach 


Police have arrested three men in connection with a data breach at the Three mobile network.

The company said details, including names and addresses, had been accessed by using a login to its database of customers eligible for a phone upgrade.

It said the breach then allowed upgrade devices to be "unlawfully intercepted".

On Wednesday the National Crime Agency (NCA) said it had arrested two men from Manchester and one man from Kent as part of its inquiries.

A 48-year-old man from Orpington, Kent, and a 39-year old man from Ashton-under-Lyne, Greater Manchester, were arrested on suspicion of computer misuse offences, the NCA said.

The third man, a 35-year old from Moston, Greater Manchester, was arrested on suspicion of attempting to pervert the course of justice. All three have been released on bail pending further enquiries, an NCA spokeswoman said.

Three, which has nine million customers, is investigating how many accounts were accessed, but said the database did not contain payment, card or bank details.

A spokesman for the company said:

"Over the last four weeks Three has seen an increasing level of attempted handset fraud. This has been visible through higher levels of burglaries of retail stores and attempts to unlawfully intercept upgrade devices.

"We've been working closely with the police and relevant authorities.To date, we have confirmed approximately 400 high value handsets have been stolen through burglaries and eight devices have been illegally obtained through the upgrade activity."

The company said it has since strengthened its data controls and is contacting the eight handset fraud victims.

Cited BBC News



No comments:

Post a comment